Hair: 5 tips to keeping hair healthy

I never used to think about what I did to my hair. I just did what I thought was "normal" and never went to any measure to protect it. Then I went to cosmetology school and that all changed. I realized that I was frying and damaging the heck out of my hair! I told myself I wouldn't be on of those girls in hair school that cut their hair, but I made the dreaded decision to chop five inches. Luckily a few of those inches were basically strings at the end of my hair. That is an important lesson I learned is that you can't undo damage that is already done, you can only prevent further damage, therefore the only way to get rid of the damage is to cut it off. My hair was definitely shorter, but it was from then on that I started taking better care and it has been a night and day difference.



1. Never rub your head back and forth with a towel after you wash your hair. It creates friction and can be very damaging. Instead, a more gentle approach is to scrunch your hair with a towel.
2. Using an oil is very hydrating for your hair, but using too much can obviously make your hair too oily. While your hair is damp, either before your blow dry or air dry, try putting a dime-quarter size of oil (depending on how much hair you have) through only the ends of your hair. If you don't have hair oil or can't afford any right now you can try using coconut or olive oil.
3. When blow drying your hair, focus the dryer on the roots. The tips of your hair are most likely a lot more dry, therefore they will dry much quicker.
 4. A heat protectant spray can help immensely before using hot tools. Think about this analogy; when getting a hot pan of cookies out of the oven you would use a hot pad to not burn your hand. Well, not using a hot pad for the cookies is like not using a heat protectant for your hair... you are basically frying it! Here is one that I have used and loved if you are willing to pay a little extra for! But if you are on a budget like I am, this one is also good at a better price.
5. When using a hot tool, never put it on the highest heat setting. Hot tools get hot enough even when put on a medium setting. This will ensure you are not putting it on broil (again with the oven analogy) but at a good temperature where it will still curl or straighten your hair. We like fries crispy, not hair.

I hope these tips help you get your hair on the right track. Although they are small things, they add up and can truly help you get the healthy hair you want!

Ali

Comments

  1. Great tips! I need to do all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of heat protectant do you recommend? Are they all about the same?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon good question. There are some that I like better than others mostly because of factors like how well it protects my hair, if there is any stickiness or build up, smell (sorry I am all about smells!), etc. I changed the color of the links in the post so those are the ones I recommend if you are on a budget or not, there are a few options for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Sorry I didn't see the links earlier. I will try then out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon- No I'm glad you said something so others could see the links too so no worries!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts