How to thrift shop like a pro

I know I confess a lot of things on here, but I just can't help it! I think some of us are afraid to say what we all feel so I will be the mouth piece for you. I'm in a secret relationship that some of you may know about, some of you may not. Me and the thrift store... we have a thang going on. I love it. I thrive on thrift store shopping! I follow a few fashion and beauty blogs and my favorite thing to do is to re-create a Nordstrom look with thrift, hand-me-downs, or clearance clothing. My husband gets mad at me when someone compliments me on my outfit and I tell them it's from Goodwill. It's this weird thing that I try not to brag about too much, but sometimes I just get so excited to tell people! So here are some useful tips to thrift store shop like a pro!

Tip 1: Make sure you have enough time. Thrift store shopping takes a bit to search so make sure you don't have a screaming baby raising your blood pressure or you have other places to go in a hurry.

Tip 2: Don't be grossed out that other people have worn them before. Sorry... but you've got to get over it. Just wash it with some strong detergent when you get home and everything is all good.

Tip 3: Imagine wearing the item with something you already own. This is probably the most important tip of all. I've picked out items that were super cute, but I could only wear them with like one pair of pants or only one pair of shoes. The more versatile, the better.

Tip 4: Don't be embarrassed that you are in a thrift store. It's ok to not have a lot of money. It's ok not to be able to buy everything you want. I feel like this phase of my life has helped me to be more appreciative of the things I do have. Have the attitude of gratitude and it will change your perspective.

Tip 5: Know your body type and look for items that compliment it. Like I've said in a previous post, I have wanted so bad to wear certain things that just don't look good on me, so I have learned to enjoy things that I feel compliment my body type.


So granted you may not have the same type of style as I do, but it's more of the idea than the style. Sorry about the really pixeled picture above. I have crappy lighting so I had to try and adjust it, but now it just looks grainy... ya get the point. On the left I am wearing a fun tribal pink shirt that I found for $1. I knew I could wear that with just a pair of jeans and flip flops for a casual and comfy look. The middle picture I am wearing a bright yellow top AND black polka dot skirt, both from the thrift store for a total of $3. I love loose shirts because I can tuck them in and pair with a fun belt (which I found at a yard sale for 25 cents woot woot)! Lastly I picked up this cream sweater ($2) that I knew I could pair with a nicer pant and cute wedge shoe.

Anyone love thrift store shopping like me? Any other good ideas or tips you could share? We all can benefit from you :) Have a great day!

Ali

Comments

  1. I adore thrift stores, you are so cute! Great finds! Haha I am so the same way, I'm always so fast to tell them it was from a thrift store/hand me down or garage sale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's kind of funny how excited we get right?? We should all go together sometime!

      Delete
  2. Thrift store shopping has ruined me so much to the point where I cringe if I'm at a real store and see a cute shirt for 20 bucks. No way am I paying that when the thrift store has one just like it for $3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know heather it has ruined me too! I have such a hard time paying full price for stuff these days!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts